Resilient South - Climate Ready Southern Adelaide
Resilient South is about strengthening southern Adelaide so that our businesses, communities and environments can bounce back from the challenges of climate change, and stay productive, connected, and strong. The impacts of a changing climate are already being felt across southern Adelaide. Even if we achieve a substantial reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (mitigation), some changes to our climate are already locked in. This means that we also need to prepare and respond to the impacts from a changing climate (adaptation).
The most recent Special Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) makes it clear that:
- Under current policies, we are on track for between 3.3 and 3.9°C of warming
- We must limit warming to 1.5°C to avoid the worst impacts of climate change
- Anything above 2°C will result in catastrophic changes
- We have 32 years to decarbonise the entire global economy
- There is still time to take action, but we must act now.
Climate Change Impacts in Southern Adelaide
More frequent, long-running and intense heat-waves
Less rain overall but more intense storms and flooding
Sea level rise, more coastal erosion and more extreme storm surges
Changes to the growing season
More frequent and extreme fire danger days
We have worked together for many years to plan for changes to our climate. This simple one-page flyer shows some of our priorities.